Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Return of the Sun

My first completed piece from the Muffin Tin Challenge is an homage to the season that I'm calling 'Return of the Sun'.

Last year I went a little crazy and started making a bunch of pendants using the Tiffany technique of soldering. It's a technique used in stained glass, that can be used for making alllllll sorts of things, including jewelry. All it takes is some copper foil tape, lead free solder, a soldering iron, and whatever setup you prefer for your soldering work. You can Google and find tutorials, supplies, etc. It's a lot of fun, addictive as all get out, and I'm getting off topic here.

Back to the necklace. The sun is slowly creeping back to us in the northern hemisphere. I've had this Sunstone pendant sitting in my mess of a bead table for a year, looking at me, shimmering, just waiting. So I tossed it in to one of the muffin cups and went with my gut.

I had just recently gotten some beautiful, untreated, rustic Iolite coins that have some shimmery red/orange inclusions. This often gets called "Bloodshot Iolite" and looks like a blue version of Sunstone. LOVE it! Perfect companion for the pendant. Then, what's perfect to balance the bold sun? Some Moonstone. Wrap it on some copper. Keep it simple and light. Finish with copper chain. Voila!

Muffin Tin Challenge piece #1 - ' Return of the Sun' complete.

No comments: